Saturday, January 31, 2015

Ted Mosby: Architect

While the reference for the title has been derived from How I Met Your Mother, I have indeed, for as long as I can remember, been fascinated by architecture - to the point I even thought of pursuing it as a major. Going over the itinerary that has been provided, what stuck out the most to me was our visit to Prambanan. Online sources have told me that Candi Prambanan is an ancient Hindu temple located in Central Java. UNESCO named the complex a World Heritage Site in 1991. The temple has seen some damage due to the Java Earthquake of 2006 but reconstruction has been in place since then. The architecture of Prambanan is really beautiful and the building itself invokes you to self contemplate. Looking at the temple at first glance, you think that it's Cambodia's Angkor Wat but the similarity is only because both the structures are based on Dravidian architecture. The temple will also provide really good B-roll for the people in the Media Department, and being a media student, the temple obviously piqued my interest due to the architecture and the shots that I could get.

While further reading up on Prambanan, a site mentioned that there are often school children who have been brought to practice their English with foreign tourists. Coming from a Cultural and Linguistic member of the team, I found this extremely interesting! I believe that visiting Prambanan will be a memorable experience for all us NYASB-ers. Prambanan carries a vast history of Indonesia and the cultural connotations that Prambanan holds are quite extensive.

Last Spring, I travelled to Beijing and as part of our service in the SLT, we taught English to kids in China. I can't wait for this years Not Your Average Spring Break to start and explore the similarities and differences of children around the world.

On a different, slightly morbid and dark (but interesting!) note, there is a tradition that if you visit Candi Prambanan with your 'significant other', you will be broken up within a year.

It seems like out trip to Prambanan, will be quite interesting. It might be made even more interesting if we're chased by demonic monkeys throughout the temple - yes, this was indeed a reference to Temple Run.


These temples (and every other temple I have photos of on here) are good examples of complex features.

No comments:

Post a Comment