Saturday, January 31, 2015

Crash of AirAsia flight 8501...

My only knowledge about Indonesia before I came to college, broadly speaking, was just that it was the largest Muslim country in the world (Pakistan, the country where I belong to, being the second largest). Additionally, there were certain aspects of Pakistan-Indonesia foreign relations which I had a general idea of, such as the fact that Muhammad Ali Jinnah had asked the Pakistani Army to support Indonesia’s struggle against the Dutch rule back in 1947. Given this limited awareness about the country, I’m thankful to public speaking (British Parliamentary style debates and Model UN) as well as courses concerning Economics which gave me a decent insight regarding some specifics of the country.

Before I even got to know about NYASB service trip to Indonesia, I had some general understanding of Indonesia, specially regarding Economics. I knew, for example, that they currently face problems of rapidly rising population (they currently rank 4th in the world in terms of population) and that they were prone to certain environmental challenges which were bringing up the concern for sustainability. Issues such as rapid industrialization, large-scale deforestation as well as over-exploitation of marine resources together bring the welfare of future generations in Indonesia under question.

A very significant issue (perhaps not very related to our service trip, nevertheless enough to grab my attention) was the recent crash of AirAsia flight 8501. As investigations followed, a team of United Nations auditors visited Jakarta in May to rate the country’s aviation safety. They came to a troubling conclusion: Indonesia was well below the global average in every category, and scored just 61 percent in airworthiness. Arnold Barnett, a statistician at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who specializes in airline safety, said that the death rate in airplane crashes over the past decade in Indonesia was one per million passengers who boarded. That rate is 25 times the rate in the United States. Scared?


Albeit, I’m very glad I got such an opportunity to offer service at a place which currently direly needs it. The aspect of sustainability appeals to me most because I believe in long-term and lasting change. I highly look forward to working with a highly talented team that we have and I’m confident that given this zeal, the efforts will not be in vain. With the hope that this whole experience leaves Bayat as a better, more able community and us (as global citizens) well-informed about such international issues, I can only say: bring it on! 

No comments:

Post a Comment