Saturday, January 31, 2015

Okay it took me way too long to figure out how to post on this blog

Without further ado, my blog post!

Hey everyone!

One of my favorite things about traveling to a new country is the fact that I get a chance to stand at a completely different vantage point than I’ve ever stood at before. Even if it’s just a trip to Lebanon to visit my grandmother, each trip is a chance to comprehend the world from a new perspective.

That got mushy real fast.

There are a lot of reasons I am looking forward to NYASB.
1.     It’s not average. I’ve had an anything-but-average college experience studying in Qatar. I am equally glad that my spring break will hopefully be the same.
2.     I’ll be traveling with an awesome group of people. I am super excited to get to know everyone as we all embark on this collective adventure.
3.     This is my first eco-tourism themed trip.
4.     This is my first trip to Indonesia.
5.     I have absolutely no idea what to expect, and that’s what I am looking forward to most. Surprise and adventure are a tad exhilarating J

The other day, my family and I were watching an episode of Anthony Bourdain’s travel show, Parts Unknown. It was an episode on Myanmar, and toward the end, he had this very poignant monologue about the results of tourism on a country. I know our mission is partly to create some sort of eco-tourism plan but I think we also need to be mindful of what tourism brings to a country, both the good and the ugly.


What type of tourists do we hope to attract in our plan? This question should be at the forefront of our minds when creating this travel plan. A family trying to teach their children lessons about the environment is going to treat the country much differently than a single adult with a strictly environmental mission.



1 comment:

  1. The last paragraph of your post really struck a chord, Jaimee. I hope that we can contribute towards attracting tourists who truly care about appreciating the land they step onto once they come to Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete